3 Construction Terms That You Should Know

14 June 2017
 Categories: Construction & Contractors, Blog


If you are going to have your house built from scratch, you are going to need to know some of the terms that you might hear when you are speaking to the builders and everyone involved in the build. 

General Contractor

The general contractor is the person who is in charge of the entire build process. Usually, the general contractor is part of a construction company who you've hired to oversee everything, but you can act as your own general contractor if you so desire. There are also services where you can hire a general contractor. The general contractor will make sure that the project stays on schedule and on budget. They also handle any problems that may arise or arguments between other workers. The general contractor will also work specifically with you or any architect about any modifications or changes that have to be made to the project. 


A subcontractor is the person who does the specialty work. For example, electricians and plumbers are subcontractors. They will come in and do the work on their particular specialty and not worry about doing anything else. Subcontractors can work with a company that only handles that particular kind of work and who bids out to work on jobs. The company may also be under contract with a particular construction company so that any time that construction company gets a job, they reach out to that subcontractor for them to do the work. Larger construction companies may employ their own subcontractors to use on their jobs. On very large jobs, such as skyscrapers, there may be more than one subcontracting company to handle each specialty, just to make sure that everything gets done in a timely fashion. 

Building Code

The building code is a series of requirements that are set up by your city and/or state. Each part of your building must meet those requirements. They cover everything from what diameter the pipes in your plumbing system need to be to how far your toilet has to be from your bathroom sink. If your house doesn't meet a particular part of the building code when it is inspected, you are going to face delays until it can be fixed. 

If you are going to be building a house, you are going to have to understand the language of the builders that you are going to be dealing with.

For more information, talk to businesses like Thompson Builders.